Translate

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Management Candidate of the Year

I've never really been good at managing time. There are lots of reasons for that, and I may or may not get into them right now. This is just a blog almost just for the sake of writing a blog.

Tonight, I'm just writing to be a writer, in order to set a precedent. You see, ever since I started this blog, I wanted it to be good and to be useful, and that's why I've written largely nothing. That one post from Mexico was the only one of the year 2013. I have about 7 other posts with saved drafts and partially-processed ideas, but I haven't taken the time to read through them, complete the thoughts, or draw conclusions to render them complete and publishable.

See, I don't want to write about my day. I only really want to write about stuff that is life-changing. If I haven't gained an insight that I can offer up as a change in perspective to those around me, of what value is my redaction of my experience? But how can I write something so groundbreaking without first having compiled all the known human data and subjected it to deep analysis and meditative reflection?

A year or two ago, my mother provided me with a valuable insight about myself (as mothers are wont to do). As I recall it, she told me, "You know, I used to think that you weren't ambitious about things, but now I think I've realized that you are over-ambitious." That is why I don't write: my standards are simply too high.

I read a couple of articles today that made a lot of sense to me. One was called "The Mistake Smart People Make," and the other was called "Forget Setting Goals." In these twin articles, James Clear lays out what he has learned about achievement: very simply, you must do things.

The amount of time I spend thinking about writing and considering what I could write is actually fairly ridiculous, seeing that it never comes to fruition. I invest so much energy in trying to prepare myself for the task of writing that I never perform the task. So, inspired by his words, I am performing the task.

In summary, I can't promise that everything I write in here will be stellar, nor compelling, nor that I will always use "nor" correctly, but I will be making an effort to micro-blog on a regular basis so that, eventually, something good might manifest.

I'm also going to occasionally (often) use "manifest" and the like as intransitive verbs and engage in other verbal ham-handedness, but I hope that good may come of this even if I don't stop to apologize for it at every turn.

Have a good night.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!
    Your mother also said "you don't have to do Ph.D,-level research for every paper in every class you ever take. You can start by just summarizing the basics."
    Wise sons listen to their mother's and father's and others' advice. :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall from the tour of some famous writer's house in France that he wrote every day for the same few hours in the morning, presumably because if he didn't write none of it would be good. I think he threw a lot of it Au, but found the regularity to be an important part of the creative process.

    ReplyDelete